The number one ask from tourists coming to Japan has always been ease of connectivity to WiFi spots across the city. Primarily to connect to internet and access travel related information tourists had to contend with long subscription processes or sometimes non availability of a carrier contract in Japan, left isolated with no connectivity. Starting December 1, 2014, 143 stations on the Toei line and Tokyo Metro Lines will get a free WiFi Spot called “Japan Connected―free Wi―Fi” which will allow a connection time of over 3 hours. You can connect any number of times in that time period. Hopefully the registration screen will be in English/Chinese/Korean and other major languages, else it defeats the basic purpose of a hassle free connectivity. Hopefully this system matures over the years as we reach Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics and will offer the best connectivity that one can expect in a 21st century megalopolis.
HOW TO CONNECT TO THE FREE WIFI
- BEFORE YOU COME TO JAPAN : Download the App Japan Connected free Wi-Fi before you travel to Japan on your smartphone/tablet
- BEFORE YOU COME TO JAPAN : Do the one time registration and register your eMail address
- Enter your details of eMail, Name, Gender and Terms of agreement and submit
- Use the Turn WiFi ON help and find the spot Japan Connected―free Wi―Fi
The Metro Stations we confirmed are showing the SSID’s (connection points) as below two Metro_Free_Wi-Fi and Toei_Subway_Free_Wi-Fi
- If connection OK, it should show Wi-Fi in red color as below
- You will get the below message once you have connected to go connect to the internet
- The final thank you screen
- Additional Wi-Fi spot information can be accessed from within the App on the HELP screen and this is very helpful that they have it all in ENGLISH!
The HELP system is pretty much self explanatory and you can use the same offline when in connection trouble without depending on network, would be stupid if you need to connect to understand why you cannot connect, right?!
Kindly let us know your experiences here and we will be more than happy to update the article content to make sure this is helpful to as many people possible.